Thursday, July 25, 2013

Homily on Luke 7: 36-50 Part 3

Too often, we may become like the Pharisee focusing on how better we are than others.  Every generation has its favorite sins to protest.  This is often as a response to real moral threats but the temptation is to see those who participate in those sins as “those over there.”  At its worst we see televangelists making outrageous claims that natural disasters are God’s judgment on the sins of a particular group or community.  This is just another way of saying that,"it is not me it’s you."  Every good thing that we do is by the grace of God, and every bad thing that we do not do is also by the grace of God.  If I see someone committing a sin that is not a temptation to me, I am in no place to judge.  If I struggle so much with what I think are small sins, what makes me think that I could do better than another if I had their temptations.
            The power of the gospel is that, although we are born into a fallen humanity, and although we often have done exactly opposite of what God requires of us, God did not abandon us to ourselves.  The sinless Christ became sin for us, so that we may be conformed to his holy likeness.  We are new creatures. The old has passed away and all things are new.
            Because of this, we are driven to the feet of Jesus.  It is our tears which drench the feet of Jesus.  The desert fathers used to talk about the gift of tears.  There were stories of monks who coming into full awareness of what Christ had done for them would weep, sometimes for weeks           
            We may not walk around weeping, but there are other ways that we can show our gratitude to Christ. St. Ambrose said that we kiss the feet of Christ when we spend time reading his words.  He says that we anoint the feet of Jesus when we care for the wounded and weary.   He continues to declare that. “They are the feet of Christ whom he himself says, ‘what you have done for one of the least of these, you have done for me.’”
            William Cowper was an 18th century priest and poet who was also a friend of John Newton, who wrote Amazing Grace.  Cowper penned the following lines.
Hark my soul!
 It is the lord
Tis my savior,
 here these words:
Jesus spake these words to thee,
Say
 poor sinner,
lovest thou me?

I delivered thee when bound
And when bleeding healed thy wounds
Sought the wondering,
 set thee right
Turned thy darkness into light.

Thou shalt see my glory soon when the work of grace is done
Partner of my throne shalt be.
Say
 poor sinner
 lovest thou me?

Lord,
My chief complaint is my love for thee
 is faint.
Yet,
I love thee
and adore
Oh for grace to love thee more