Friday, June 14, 2013

Your Cell Will Teach You Everything.

there is an old saying from the Desert Fathers, "Go to your cell and your sell will teach you everything."  A monk's cell was his room, the place where he prayed.  I do a lot of reading.  I read a lot because I have a lot to learn.  In fact, I am usually in three or four books at a time. More if I am in a class or two.  In our society, knowledge is a source of power.  Knowledge is our chief commodity.

I find ministry particularly calls for constant study.  I am newly ordained, and I am constantly aware of the things that I do not know.  I constantly am calling on more seasoned ministers to ask questions.  I also am taking the summer of from seminary to make the adjustment to ministry demands.  Part of this adjustment is reading up on leadership and ministry skills.

Since I am bi-vocational, I also am also constantly trying to keep up with industry trends.  There are some major changes in my career field, and I often feel like I am just staying afloat.  In addition, there are the particular demands of my specific place of work that require me to find creative solutions.

I have often heard it said that many ministers can't find the time to pray.  I think that this is scary. I think that this lack of prayer is the reason that many are opining a lack of spiritually deep ministers in the church.  The best pastors are not CEOs of a church, but are spiritual fathers.  This kind of spiritual  maturity can not come from books or study.  It mus come from prayer, silence and meditation.

As we spend time in our cells, that place in  your home where we meet with God, we are changed.  We are made wise.  We are educated.  Ultimately, we are reared spiritually.