Thursday, January 2, 2014

Humility

Father;

 You have called us to put on the humility of Christ, yet I find that I so fear it.  I so often find myself growing indignant at any little mistreatment.  I feel the need to stand up for my rights.  I raise my chin, square my solders and look the world in the eyes.  How far short I fall from Christ, who bore the scourging of leather, bone and shards.  I so little bear the lashing of tongues.  Christ’s flesh was torn on my behalf, but I shrink from the smallest wounding my pride.

You said that you raise the lowly.  Do I trust you for that?  Do I trust that the more I am humbled on earth, the more I am raised up in Heaven?  Do I trust that you will be my advocate, so I need not be?  How little my faith must appear to you.  Such little trouble and I doubt.  Help my unbelief.

Help me father to bear the heel of man if that means the kiss of God.  Help me to feel so secure in your love and pleasure in me so that I do not care how some devalue me.  Help me, following Christ, to bear the cross that you have given me so that I might take hold of the glory that you have in store for me.  In all that befalls me, help me to feel secure in your love of me.


Amen.