Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Why Call Me?

I remember looking at the magazine that is put out by my alumni association.  I remember reading about all of he great things that others have done.  Some make movies.  Some are IT successes.  Some are powerful leaders of industry.  Most of them are great people.  It is humbling.  It is too easy to make comparisons and ask what I have done with my life.

Have you ever wondered why God called you.  I know I have.  There are many more people in the  world with many more talents than I have.  There are many more in the world who have done a better job of managing their lives.  My life is now half-way through and it seems that I am just getting started.  I have not made waves.  I have not made my mark and perhaps never will.

In 1 Corinthians, Paul said that not many wise, or powerful or upper crust are called. Perhaps too many of us feel like we fit this description.  For every superstar, there are thousands who are just trying to get by.  But we are the ones that God has mostly called.  It doesn't make sense.  It is not what I would have done, but then I am not God.  Not even close.  All I can do is lay myself at God's feet to use.  But God has a mysterious way of taking those of us who are not great, not powerful and not important and doing great, powerful and important things.  The odd thing is that we may never  notice it.  We are just following God day-by-day and somewhere along the way in an almost "slight of hand" way, God works his wonders. Then, one day,if we are attentive,  we may turn around to see that behind us lay a trail of gospel works like little rose petals strewn along the path of our life.  It still may not make sense to us, but it is amazing.